Monday, July 17, 2006

Adoption in Iraq

I was concerned my friends from Iraq would have a difficult time understanding the whole adoption process. I tried to keep it simple and said there was a baby who's mother couldn't raise her on her own but she wanted us to take the baby and make her ours. The girls were very concerned about the mother - it was very sweet. We talked a lot about her and I told them she was a really sweet girl and it wasn't easy for her. The Iraqi mother told me that somtimes a woman can't take care of their baby so she would bring the baby to the mosque and leave them there with a note "please take care of my baby". There are women at the mosque all the time and one would come along and find the baby and they would all decide who would take the child home and raise him/her as their own. No corrupt system, no bribes or waiting years and years....but then again, there is no help for that birthmother, no counciling and no way to make sure the baby is okay (unless they stick around and watch--which they sometimes do).

1 comment:

Overwhelmed! said...

Petunia- You left a comment on my blog today. Thanks! Would you be so kind as to send me your email address so I can respond to your comment via email? My email address is adoptive_mom_1@yahoo.com.

When I have a bit more time, I'll be back to read more about your family's adoption story. :)

Oh, and yes, those pictures are from Ireland. I'll explain more in my email! :)