Sunday, October 08, 2006

Adopted? Whose Adopted?

I know many Biomoms don't like it but I totally forget my baby is adopted and not mine. I don't think about it for a long time and then someone brings it up.....and i think...."oh yea" for a split second it suprises me. I guess it's the same way being adopted myelf----i forget. I tell my parents they are the best mom and dad anyone could have. I don't give it another thought that I'm not biological . They are mom and dad - %100. When I think about what my daughter will look like I imagine a thin dark version of T....then i think - "no, wait her biodad has red hair and has children with blond hair....she must look like her bio mom, but she was short and biodad was tall so maybe she'll be tall like him/us" .....and then I forget again. She looks so much like us....she has my hair color, T's eyes, my dimple and she's left handed like T----so weird.

You know her biomom (and biodad) will always be a part of her (just as mine are a part of me - thier DNA made us have our looks and our tastes) but it's something you just don't think about most of the time. That makes me sad because I know the biomoms are always thinking about them. But.....think about it like this: You would want parents for your baby who don't think about your child as someone else's but love them SO much they forget that they are not their biological child.

I LOVE MY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you forget you are adopted otherwise you wouldn't have this blog.

petunia said...

kimkim....of course i didn't forget all together but most of the time i don't think about it that often. I have this blog because of our adopting our daughter and other things i think about.....

Gwen said...

Hi Petunia,

This is my first visit to your blog! Congratulations on your baby! I am an adoptive mother to 3 children and I have two sisters that were adopted as well as two cousins so adoption has been in my family a very long time. If you don't mind I would love to continue to read your blog.

I chose to comment on this post because I soooo get what you are saying! I do the same thing about forgetting our kids were adopted. It is hard to explain because you don't really mean you forget they were adopted because you don't. It is very hard to put into words but we don't think about it on a daily basis. I too have done similar things like say, "well they didn't get that from me must have been from dh." Then I catch myself and laugh because I realize I have done it again! LOL!!!!!! I just wanted to say I totally understand where you are coming from!